Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Grilled Buffalo Steaks, Moose Ragu, Pork Bierocks, and Beef Hash

In thinking back to my meals over this weekend, I realize that I don't really eat vegetables any more. Or fruit. I like vegetables and fruit. But somehow I just don't seem to eat them anymore.

I eat a lot of meat.

In thinking back a little further, I realize that one of my first observations about the very first Alaskan I ever met, my dear college roommate, was that she never ate fruits or vegetables.

And while I'm happy to adopt any and all characteristically Alaskan habits, I recognize that I need to resume eating fruits and vegetables.

So I intentionally went home for lunch, walked Puck around the block, made myself an arucula salad using the arucula I bought this weekend at the Anchorage Farmer's Market (lemon and olive oil dressing), and ate it outside at the picnique table while I read an essay by John Haines and Puck lolled on his back in a sun patch and chewed twigs.

It's the summer solstice and the 10 month landmark of dating J. - and it's sunny and blue-skied, and I ate a salad, and I feel motivated by anticipation of future developments that do incline me towards cartwheels of glee, and Puck is adored by the neighbors for his faithful retrieval of golf balls and badminton birdies, and my neighbor's dad told me I should be very proud for raising such a fine dog.

Oh, que vita dolce!

1 Comments:

Blogger Randi said...

what kind of dog is puck? He looks like a long haired dachshund.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home